Monday, August 12, 2013

Casa Loma

Casa Loma is a historic house museum in Toronto, which was built over a three year period from 1911-1914 by Sir Henry Pellatt as his residential house but was later established as a museum in 1937. I have a thing for historic places, especially houses so this was on my list for quite a while. I am so glad that I finally made the visit to this beautiful house. Not just the interiors but even the garden outside is gorgeous.

Front Entrance - Casa Loma

First thing that I noticed was the height at which it is established. Even the houses around it have tiny stairs going up to their backyards and main door. But the long stairs end up in the beautiful garden and the magnificent view of Casa Loma.
Back Staircase from the road to Casa Loma

It was a pretty hot day, but still there were lots and lots of people there, and mostly with young children. So it was really crowded, but I kind of liked that because I would not like to go to such a huge house all alone. The most surreal experience for me was to go into the Tunnel. It was cold (which was awesome for such a hot day), dark, wet and old. So it was one of a kind experience.
Since there are so many people, they don't provide personal tour guides to everyone, so they have audio guides which you can pick up from the gift shop and then return it back before leaving. I believe they have the audio guides in English, French and Mandarin. At least that is what they had that day. The audio guides are basically palm sized devices that have recorded information about history of all the rooms and the dwellers.  
Lady Pellat's Suite


                
 Lady Pellat's Sitting Area


There is also a cafeteria with reasonably priced items in the basement right next to the gift shop. Elevator service is available for people with special needs. So, overall it is a really nice place to visit with family and friends. It is open everyday from 9.30 am - 5 pm. 
This is my first blog post and I don't really have a hang of it so I am really sorry about this choppy post. I am not sure but for some reason it is not allowing me to add any more photos or information. I promise I'll work on it and please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I hope you guys do visit and have a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment